Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion)
Diocese of Abuja
Cathedral Church of the Advent
1st Sunday after Easter - Sunday 23 April 2017
Theme: Knowing Christ "The I AM Sayings of Jesus"
Topic: The Bread Of Life
Text: John 6: 25 - 69 (Key Text: John 6: 35, 48)
I am the Bread of Life is the first "I Am" saying of Jesus in the Gospel of John.
This saying was revealed during the discourse of Jesus with the crowd who was seeking Him because of the bread they ate at the feeding of the five thousand men (John 6: 5 - 15 & 26)
Jesus used the term bread in His saying because bread was the basic form of food for life sustenance.
He thus used what the people could relate with to pass on spiritual truth to them
The following can be noted about Jesus being the Bread of Life
* that He is the Bread that came from God to give life to the world (Jn. 6:33, 41)
* The life He gives is Eternal life (Jn. 6: 27. 48 - 51)
* Eternal life can be received by coming to Jesus and believing in Him (Jn. 6: 35)
* The bread also speaks of His sacrificial death for the salvation of man (Jn. 6: 51)
Suggested Points For Application
1. Being a Church member for donkey years does not automatically translate to knowing Jesus. We should press on to know Him experientially (Phil. 3: 10 - 12)
2. Knowing Jesus comes by revelation. We should crave for revelational knowledge of Jesus (Matt. 16: 15 - 17)
3. Our main aim of seeking Jesus should not be for our stomach or for material possessions (Jn. 6: 26-27)
4. Only Jesus as the Bread of Life can give Eternal Life if we come to Him and accept His Lordship over our lives and believe in Him. (Jn. 6: 27, 35)
5. One of the ways to partake of this Bread is in the Holy Communion