Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion)
Diocese of Abuja
Cathedral Church of the Advent
1st Sunday In Lent - Sunday 5 March 2017
Theme: "The Christian Work Ethic"
Topic: Maintaining A Balance Between Work, Leisure And Family Life
Key Text: Mark 6: 31
In our Key Text, Jesus prescribed time off for His wearied Disciples after they had returned from a prolonged period of Ministry.
And in the Old Testament, God set a pattern for us when He "rested from all His Work" (Gen. 2: 3)
Our old nature is restless, the world around us in frantically in a hurry. But "a restless heart usually leads to a restless life."
Rest is a word we hear often enough but do we really understand its importance in our lives?
According to the Gospels Jesus was relaxed and kept a calm pace from day to day. He never allowed Himself to get caught in the wheel of "busyness". Even when one of Jesus' closest friends Lazarus was on his deathbed, Jesus took His time getting to Bethany to be with Lazarus. Jesus moved through life at a deliberate pace and yet accomplished so much.
Relationships are often the first casualties of a hectic life. Guilt and frustration can set in as a result of not spending enough time with our family like we feel we should.
We ought to find time for unwinding and to enjoy family life.
We should therefore avoid as much as possible overtime and overwork.
Some Points To Note
1. God does not tire or get weary. He came up with the Sabbath Principle not for Himself but for the sake of man (Mark 2: 27)
2. Ask God for wisdom to balance productivity with rest - godly leisure
3. We should pause intermittently to honour our families and enjoy our relationships
4. In Romans 12: 2, God tells us how we can make good decisions. Let the indwelling of the Spirit and your study of the Scriptures lead to a renewed mind - which leads to transformation and ultimately good decisions
5. Start today by setting aside regular times to relax and be renewed physically, emotionally and spiritually