Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion)
Diocese of Abuja
Cathedral Church of the Advent
3rd Sunday In Lent - Sunday 19 March 2017
Theme: "The Christian Work Ethic"
Topic: Avoiding Pitfalls In The Work Place
Key Text: Gen. 39: 6 - 7
Pitfalls come to us in various circumstances and diverse times, in different places and through different means.
Pitfall can be defined as "a potential problem, hazard or danger that is easily encountered but not immediately obvious."
It is "a type of trap consisting of a concealed hole in the ground, victims fall into the hole and are unable to escape".
Pitfalls abound in the places where we work or live (Gen. 39: 6 - 7' Dan. 6: 5 - 7. 10 - 12; Luke 22: 31)
Pitfalls are evil machinations from the pit of hell. The devil's agenda has always been to steal. kill and destroy.
For example in our key text, the wife of Portiphar fronted for the devil in trying to seduce Joseph to alter his destiny, destroy his career and rob him of his testimony (his good name, integrity, credibility e.t.c.)
Some pitfalls are man caused - results of inordinate ambition, undisciplined lifestyle and lack of focus.
Whatever be the case, pitfalls can serve to build us up and perfect God's plans in our lives if we remain focused on Him (Ps. 37: 24; Rom. 8: 28, 39)
We may learn a lot from the Apostle Peter's exhortation to all the saints in 1 Pet. 5: 6 - 11. Writing from personal experience, he teaches us how to avert the disaster waiting to happen in every department of life including the work place.
* Humble yourself under the Mighty Hand of God (v. 6)
* Cast all your cares upon the Lord; don't allow distractions, worries and unnecessary burdens to overwhelm you (v. 7)
* Do not be over excited in the face of success. There is one who seeks your downfall. Be at alert always (v. 8)
* Resist the devil and stand firm (v. 9a) Do not give in or assist your enemy to your downfall
* You are not alone in the battles you face (v. 9b) Your entire brotherhood is involved, do not sit in despair; stand up
* Remember the Lord's call on your life always (v. 10). Even when you have fallen, remember His eternal purpose for your life. He still cares. The shakings are not forever. Turn to Him for restoration.
* Give God all the praise and glory in all things (v. 11)
The pitfall you experience today is the strength you need tomorrow.
For every challenge encountered and overcome is an opportunity for growth.